Wednesday, September 2, 2009
The hair of the dog
Dogs have all kinds of hair--some short, some long, some wiry, some fluffy, some even like human hair. Geneticists have studied the DNA mutations that cause all of these differences. They found that it comes down to just three genes that make all these differences. The interesting science doesn't stop there. Scientists are using this information to understand human cancers--how just a few genes can cause so many different kinds of cancer. Read or listen to the NPR story here.
Posted by Scoop at 7:00 AM
- ► 2010 (131)
- Unlikely best buds
- Police dog donated from unlikely source
- Training Tip Tuesday, Loving Your Kennel, Sponsore...
- Rescue Ink--BIG guys, on the side of pets
- More poop-related news
- Poop scooping is serious business
- Neuter that Boy!
- Thumbs up for Pixie
- Maggie, the diplomat
- AKC's top dogs
- Training Tip Tuesday, Human Greeting, Sponsored by...
- Rescue overload
- Exercising with health and safety in mind
- Mario's great puppy hunt
- Andre's cross-country support team
- Tackling Vick & tackling dogfighting
- Top 10 dog parks
- Stem cell therapy for dogs
- Training Tip Tuesday, CRAWL, Sponsored by Anytime ...
- Fire up your jets to save pets
- Chase cars, don't eat them
- Dog Flu
- Mutt Madness pet charity contest
- Piaget, babies, and dogs
- A Day Without Cats on the Internet
- Crossing the line...
- Traveling in Style
- Training Tip Tuesday: TOUCH, Sponsored by Anytime ...
- Saving Kujo
- Polly, the magnetic dog
- Roo learns to walk again
- The whole world smiles with you
- The Seeing Eye
- The hair of the dog
- Training Tip Tuesday: PRACTICE, sponsored by Anyti...
- The Kennedy dogs
- ▼ September (37)