Thursday, August 27, 2009

What type of pet owner are you?

David Blouin, a cultural sociologist at Indiana University South Bend decided to study the relationships that people have with their pets. He found that pet owners fall into three categories: humanist, protectionist, and dominionist. The humanists treat their dogs like four legged people, protectionists place a high value on animals generally, not just as pets, and the dominionists view animals as less important but useful for working purposes.

Blouin also found that a dogs place in your life can change with a major change in your life, like having human children. People treat their dogs differently based on lots of factors. For example, people living in rural areas where dogs often roam freely outside are more inclined to be dominionists. Empty-nesters may treat their dog like a surrogate child, being humanists.

What category do you fall into? I think my person is a protectionist because she shows me and other animals a lot of respect, but she doesn't try to dress me. I think all three are ok--there are lots of ways to love a dog!

[Image courtesy of PhotoBucket]


2 comments:

  1. I think I am a humanist because I treat my dogs like children - but I don't dress them - that is crossing the line and I somehow believe they wouldn't enjoy that very much. Interesting articles - keep them coming, Scoop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely a protectionist - I don't treat my dogs like children because what makes them so incredibly wonderful is that they're dogs, not people!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive