Sunday, August 16, 2009

Vick: "I blame myself"....Now make it right.

Lots of people have been asking me what I think about Michael Vick now that he has been accepted back into the world of professional football. My person taught me "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." But I sure don't like the guy.

I have been closely following what the President of the Humane Society of the United States, Wayne Pacelle, has been saying. Last week he released a statement that read: "Michael Vick admits that what he did to dogs was cruel and barbaric, but now that he has served his time, he wants to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. He has pledged to make a long-term commitment to participate in our community-based outreach programs to steer inner-city youth away from dogfighting." I sure hope he delivers on that promise. I am skeptical, but dogfighting is such a big problem that it needs big names to combat it.

Vick appeared tonight on CBS's 60 Minutes. He said "I blame myself" but he sounds mostly upset about how it negatively impacted his career and doesn't completely understand how horrific his actions were. He says that he is ready to be judged now on his community work, and states that he now cares about animals...and is a living example of "what not to do." We stand ready to judge, not just on what he does this year, but after his NFL contracts are renewed years down the road.

HSUS's Pacelle also appeared on the show and made it clear that the HSUS would be holding his feet to the fire and would not let Vick use them just for "image rehabilitation." Watch the video or read the article here.

HSUS already has a very active campaign to combat dogfighting with inner-city youth.
The Pit Bull Training Team (PBTT) helps youth channel their competitive
interest in dogs into constructive activities that include positive reinforcement and agility training. Click here to see an adorable slideshow of the community dog ambassadors. This is progress, but so much more needs to be done.

I won't be rooting for the Eagles this year, but will be watching Michael Vick's actions off the field. I hope all this attention will at least make a difference for the dogs abused for sport by criminals every day.

1 comment:

Blog Archive