My favorite tips: beware that food is a common source of conflict, so feed the dogs separately so they don't feel like they are competing over their kibble. Don't punish the the deed if you did not witness the crime! (See my earlier post "Just because I look guilty doesn't mean I did it"). And finally, remember that all dogs are different, so just because something works for your older guy, doesn't mean it is the best for the new pup.
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Big old dog, meet small new dog
Bringing a new dog into the house can be stressful for the dogs that already live there. It can be dangerous too if the dogs are not in the same size category. Before brining a puppy home, read up on the proper way to introduce them to the pack, and minimize conflict in the house.
Posted by Scoop at 1:01 AM
- ► 2010 (131)
- Top 10 wildlife threats
- No kibble here!
- Puppy politics
- 1,000 Strong for the Scoop!
- Do dogs have morals?
- Tuesday & Luis inspire Congressional action
- Lost for a YEAR
- Give this dog a JOB!
- 5-legged puppy no more
- The car does not need to be scary!
- Dare, another very special two legged dog!
- Saved from a 7-foot gator!
- Puppy-proofing your home
- Why do some dogs have short legs?
- Grants for Petfinder member shelters!
- First 100 dog-days with the Obamas
- Un-skewering Smokey
- A rough ride
- Molly FOUND, and news on other stolen pets
- Happy Birthday to ME!
- The saga of the 5-legged puppy
- Dog plays mom to panda cubs
- Why bark?
- Look out for the fork in the road...
- I am a dog, but I still understand you
- Bed bug detection system
- Is that a dog?
- Worse than Dogballs!*
- Pet Airways taking off!
- A new leg, a new life
- Tuesday's Tuesday story
- From home fire to forever home...
- Hide my toys, it might save your life
- Dolly's new life
- Even kids can help rescue pets!
- Walk me, please
- Big old dog, meet small new dog
- The “golden treatment” for hip dysplasia
- An elephant's best friend
- Double danger to dogs: pot brownies
- Stay safe on the 4th!
- Today Show profiles senior dogs and pit bulls
- Why dogs don't pop wheelies
- Sniffing for your health
- ▼ July (44)