Thursday, February 4, 2010

Kids take pledge to care for their dogs

A lot of people don't realize that us dogs do require some work. Why not start teaching them as kids? Well, the good folks at Morongo Basin Humane Society in Joshua Tree, California are working on teaching humans about dog responsibility at a young age. The shelter workers held a class on pet safety and care for a group of Onaga Elementary School fourth graders. The kids learn how to behave safely around dogs and also how to be a responsible pet-parent.

In the end, the students take a pledge:
"I,____, promise to take care of my dog ____ . I will be responsible for providing him with the things that he needs to be healthy and happy. I will give food and water to my dog in a clean dish every day.”

These kids are also learning about the needs of homeless pets. Several classes from the school are holding a supply drive for the shelter. The class that raises the most supplies will win a pizza party, but they should deserve wags and kisses from the shelter dogs they are helping out.

[The completely unrelated but hilarious photo is courtesy of PhotoBucket]

1 comment:

  1. This was a really great contest and hopefully I can attend the next one. It was alot of fun and I really enjoyed myself.. take care of your own dog

    ReplyDelete