- Let your dog escape once they go in.
- Let your dog decide they are done for the day.
- Try using toys/food as a bribe to get in, BUT be sure to REWARD (more treats/play) AFTER the dog gets in even if they pop out.
- Use really, really tasty treats or your dog favorite toy.
- Start with a shallow pool and clear water with no waves or spray.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that you need to make it safe and fun, but if your dog just isn't interested in swimming, that is ok.
My cousin Madison LOVES to swim, and she is pictured here having the time of her life in the Wenatchee River in Washington State. Madison has some joint problems, so regular swimming is a great way for her to get some exercise without putting extra pressure on her knees and hips. Plus, she thinks it is fun, which is the most important part.